Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Leaving on a Jet Plane

June 21, 2011

Alright, alright. Yesterday got a little dramatic. I was just tired, stressed, and frustrated. I am sure it is nothing compared to the border crossings I have ahead of me. It is all good.

This morning was goodbye to Casey. Nuff said. Thank you for everything Case, you are and always will be the man.

Gary was waiting for me at the dock. Remember, this was his day off. We went right in and after that submitting the motorcycle was easy. So it is all checked in waiting for the boat to arrive. Next time I see it, it will be on the other half of the world. Gary was a firefighter and worked right through the hurricane that hit Galveston. He had some pretty interesting stories and talked about how people worked together to help others out.


Goodbye bike, see you on the other side of the world

On the way back to Houston I stopped at Home Depot for some final spare parts. Frank, the gentleman who helped me, is an 82-year-old WWII vet and told me war stories for about 20 minutes. He was a good guy.

So that’s it. I am waiting in Houston airport for the kids to arrive. I am very excited to be working Rustic again. I feel very strongly that when young people have international service experiences then it only leads to good things. They experience life on a global scale and begin to ask tough questions about justice and equality, war and protests, and wealth and poverty. Cognitive dissonance is a powerful thing.

It is in moments like these that allow me to drift, momentarily, into the experiences of my past. It is the deep breath before the next life defining moment. This time, I am leaving for 8 months. It is my longest and most ambitious one yet.

I would like to just give a quick thank you to all of you for your support. I have received lots of mail encouraging me and what I am attempting to do. It means a lot.

No comments: